Kale can be a tricky food to serve. But with the right attention it can transform into a beautiful meal. There are days where I am craving dark, leafy greens… on days like those this is my go-to salad. It is savory, has a little touch of spice and a crisp, fresh bite to it.
The trick is to de-stem and massage the kale before assembling the salad. Kale can be a bit rough but once you give it a good rub, it becomes tender and fluffy.
This salad is great at a dinner party because it is hearty and could feed 4-8 people depending on the serving size and what it is paired with. That being said, this salad can hold its own and is a delicious, nutritious meal.
- 1 bunch of Kale, de-stemmed, washed and chopped (about 5 cups)
- ½ a yellow or orange bell pepper, diced
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup chopped Brussel sprouts
- 1 ½ cup chopped sweet potatoes
- 2 tbs chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- dash of red pepper flakes
- 2 tbs sesame oil
- 2 tbs tahini
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves garlic
- salt and pepper
- Cook the Brussel sprouts and sweet potatoes with the sesame oil in a large frying pan over medium to high heat. If they begin to burn add in a few tablespoons of water. Stir occasionally until they are browned and tender. Add in the crushed red pepper flakes in the last few minutes of cooking.
- While the Brussel sprouts and sweet potatoes are cooking combine the tahini, water, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, garlic, salt and pepper in a blender to make the dressing. Once it is combined, taste and season with salt and pepper if needed.
- In a large bowl, combine the chopped kale with half of the dressing. With clean hands, massage the kale and dressing together for 1-2 minutes.
- Once the kale is fluffy and tender, add the bell peppers, pumpkin seeds, parsley, Brussel sprouts and sweet potatoes to the bowl. Add in the rest of the dressing and stir until combined.
- Best if served immediately. Enjoy!