I think one of the hardest parts of going vegan is saying goodbye to all of the foods and flavors you grew up loving. One of my favorite dishes from before we transitioned to veganism was Insprialized’s Sweet Potato Carbonara. So, I started experimenting making a similar, plant-based version and I think I like it better than the original.
The recipe calls for vegan parmesan cheese and sausage. If you are just transitioning to a plant-based diet it can be hard to navigate the many brands out there to find options you like. Two of our favorite brands are Violife for cheeses and Field Roast for vegan sausages (especially their Italian blend). Both of these brands have tricked even the biggest meat and dairy eaters in our family, so you know they are good
This recipe is a little more intense than some of the other ones on the site but can be done start to finish, in under 20 minutes. You will need a spiralizer of some sort. I have the Inspiralizer but there are many different options out there to buy. If you haven’t used a spiralizer before, they are great. They allow you to quickly turn your favorite veggies into a noodle shape and are a great option for people who are gluten free. You will also need both a large and medium skillet in addition to a cutting board, knife, bowl and tongs.
This recipe makes 4 very large servings and is just as good, if not better, reheated the next day.
Plant Based Sweet Potato Carbonara
- 2 spiralized sweet potato noodles
- 1/2 a red onion diced
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 red pepper flakes
- 2 vegan sausage crumbled
- 2 tbs olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbs ground flax seeds
- 8 tbs water
- 1/2 cup shredded vegan parmesan cheese (more to top, option)
- In a medium bowl, combine 2 tbs of ground flax seed with the 8 tbs of water. Stir and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tbs of olive oil and begin to cook the spiralized sweet potato noodles and season with salt. Stir every 1-2 minutes. Add water 1 tbs at a time if noodles begin to burn.
- In a medium skillet, cook diced onions in olive oil, over medium heat for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Add the crumbled vegan sausage to the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes and add the garlic. Cook for another minute and turn off the heat.
- While the sweet potato noodles are cooking down, mix in the shredded vegan parmesan, black pepper, and crushed red pepper into the flax seed/water mix. Stir until combined.
- When the sweet potato noodles are just beginning to become fork tender (10-12 minutes of cooking), mix in the onions and vegan sausage mixture in and remove from heat.
- Mix in your vegan parmesan cheese and flax seed mixture until well combined.
- Top with additional parmesan cheese and enjoy!