Popeye knew what he was doing eating all of that spinach. An article by BBC Good Food confirms what most of us already know, spinach is a great source of iron but spinach is also packed full of vitamin K, vitamin A, vitamin C, folic acid, manganese, magnesium, and vitamin B2. You can’t ask much more from a single food item, which is probably why I can tell when I am not eating enough of it. When I am eating it consistently though, I recognize my energy level elevated and my skin, hair and nails healthier.
My husband jokes that I force feed him his greens, which is harder when it comes to our one year old daughter. I have been trying to sneak those leafy greens in wherever I can, but with only two teeth so far, her gums aren’t so efficient.
I took our favorite pancake recipe from Nom Yourself, one of my all-time favorite vegan cookbooks, and turned them green. The experiment was a huge hit. They were baby, mommy, daddy, babysitter, and Grammy approved.
These green little pancakes are so good and have over 5 cups of spinach in them! We make a big batch at the beginning of the week and freeze any leftovers. I freeze them in sets of two, that way they can easily be grabbed and popped in the toaster or microwave for a quick meal!
The secret ingredient is subbing any old non-dairy milk for my “spinach milk” mixture. I promise, these pancakes will NOT disappoint and they will give you the power of Popeye!
2 ¼ cup flour
3 tbs sugar
½ tsp baking soda
1 tbs baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
1 tsp salt
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
5 cups fresh spinach
¼ cup almonds
1 tsp honey
2 tbs hemp protein
2 ¾ cup water
- Blend all ingredients for Spinach Milk in a high-speed blender for 2 minutes or until fully combined and smooth.
- Mix all dry ingredients into a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Create a well in the middle of the mixture to pour the spinach milk and vanilla in.
- Whisk all of the ingredients together until smooth. The mixture should be a beautiful shade of green!
- Cook over medium heat in a lightly oiled pan or skillet.